• Department
  • Undergraduate Program
  • Graduate Program
  • People
  • Research
  • GIVE
  • Research Opportunities199 Research Opportunities    Research Conferences    Other Internships & ResearchEXPERIMETRIX


    Apply to volunteer as a Research Assistant in a Psychology Department Faculty Member's lab.  Labs are located on campus and at other sites, including the Center for Mind and Brain and the UC Davis Mind Institute and the California National Primate Research CenterCheck the 199/99 database on the Web to see research projects that are available, or inquire via email or in-person to individual faculty.  If you go this route, be sure to be respectful and indicate why you want to work in that particular lab. It is a good idea to be aware of the research actually being done in the lab before asking to participate!  Research Assistant positions are competitive and there may be a GPA requirement or prior coursework required.

    Students can receive credit toward the major through Psychology 199 or 198. Students with 84 or more units are eligible to receive 199 or 198 credit. Students who have fewer than 84 units may receive 99 or 98 credit.  PSC 99 and PSC 98 are lower-division units so they will not grant credit toward the major.  PSC 199 is considered to be individual student work and PSC 198 is considered to be group student work, which more closely represents an actual class.  Either number can be used but there is a maximum number of 199 units (or any special study units) allowed toward graduation (no more than 1/6 of the total amount of units earned at UCD; generally about 30 for 4-year students and 12-15 for transfer students) so at times 198 is assigned to avoid going over the maximum.  Students can enroll in a maximum of 5 special study units per quarter.  Each unit earned requires 3 hours per week of volunteer time, or 30 hours over the course of a 10-week quarter.  Most labs require 6-9 hours per week for 2-3 units of credit per quarter.

    To receive unit credit, 199 forms are available at the labs and in the forms rack next to the Advising Office in 141 Young Hall.  Forms should be turned into the Advising Office once the student has a CRN.   The Lab Manager should give the student the CRN each quarter.  Advisors can give out CRNs to the Lab Manager as well as to students.  Students are responsible for signing up for their units and assigning on SISWeb the appropriate amount of units being earned.  Note--the system defaults to one unit!  The deadline to sign up for PSC 199 with a CRN is the 12th day of instruction.

    The benefits of volunteering as a research assistant are multiple:

    • Students can earn units toward the Psychology major and graduation;
    • Students can gain excellent research experience, which is often a component of being a competitive candidate for graduate programs, particularly PhD programs; and
    • A potential Letter of Recommendation for graduate school can be earned.

    Transcript notation for students earning 40 hours or more per quarter is also available as long as the lab is signed up as an official UCD internship site via the Internship and Career Center.  Go to:  http://iccweb.ucdavis.edu/students/TN.htm.

    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to come by the Advising Office in 141 Young Hall and we will be happy to assist you.